The Australian Embassy is seeking a highly motivated and experienced person to fill the position of a Political Research Officer. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate achievement against the following selection criteria:
- A high level of communication and interpersonal skills that can be applied in building productive working relationships with the Government of Timor-Leste, political parties, civil society and other stakeholders;
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of Timor-Leste politics, economics and government systems and processes and strong networks of contacts reflective of this.
- Demonstrated initiative, motivation and flexibility including the ability to work independently in a proactive manner.
- Sound judgement and analytical skills and ability to translate this into written reports.
- Personal initiative, good judgement and responsiveness.
- Familiarity with the Australia and Timor-Leste bilateral relationship.
Applicants should also have the following qualifications and/or experience.
- Tertiary qualifications, experience or knowledge in political science, international relations, economics and/or another related degree.
- Excellent English and Tetun (required) and Portuguese (highly desirable) including interpretation and translation skills.
- Demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office computer applications
Applications – Please respond to each of the selection criteria separately by providing examples of your achievements. The total response to selection criteria must be in English and not exceed 2.5 pages. Please also include a Curriculum Vitae in English, not exceeding 2 pages. The closing date is 20th August 2018 at 4:30pm.
Referees – Please provide the name, position, phone number and email address for two recent professional referees in your written application. Referees will be contacted for short listed applicants only.
How to apply
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted and they will be invited to a two-part interview with both written and spoken components.
Successful applicants are required to obtain a satisfactory police and medical check. The position will involve travel in Timor-Leste and may involve limited international travel.
The Australian Embassy is committed to providing equal employment opportunities, access, equity and social inclusion for all employees, and in particular for women and people with a disability. We welcome all applicants and encourage women and people with disability to apply.
Note: For enquiries about working at the Australian Embassy Dili or to submit an expression of interest for any upcoming short-term vacancies, please email our HR section at Dili.HR@dfat.gov.au.